Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Post and Hamata Supplies Question
Thank you for the reply and welcome, Dan. I appreciate your time.

Originally, I had wanted to make hamata as accurate as possible. Following some basic research I came up with the following specifications as 'acceptable': a 4 in 1 patterns with the '1' being comprised of an 8mm riveted steel ring (assuming dome riveted) approximately 16ga in size with a round or square cross section (I could not find any confirmation on cross section shape). Likewise, the '4' should be 16ga 8mm flat solid rings that are either punched or welded. The outer diameter of both are negligibly larger than than the ID.

I'm happy to hear your thoughts on my perceptions above. Please correct wherever you see fit. Inner diameter could vary but was using 8mm as a general example of an approximate size.

I believe galvanized rings will suffice. As you pointed out, they will be considerable less maintenance. Was just thinking of making it look as authentic as possible and thought supplies would be easy enough to find. Indeed, riveted washers and the riveting tool were pretty simple. Solid washers, on the other hand, aren't.

I just like the idea of recreating history in such a manner that it looks as close to 'original' as possible, for myself and others, providing an accurate window into the past down to the finer details. Hollywood and pop culture typically go the other way. Seems like it will be considerably more work to do so with this project as I may have to make the rings myself. Found several tutorials and am confident of my abilities. Just have to decide as this point if I want to invest that much time or not, you know? What is that accuracy worth to me? Using easy to find butted rings does sound tempting though.

Thanks again!

ETA: Oh, the link was exactly what I was looking for! I figured an industrial washer type of place would be my best bet. Unfortunately, a quick look at prices (especially for a custom run, which it looks to be) make it prohibitive. Think I could buy a decent finished piece for the price of the washers. They take 'bulk' to a whole 'nother level!

Messages In This Thread
1st Post and Hamata Supplies Question - by Mark Chronister - 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM
1st Post and Hamata Supplies Question - by Doc - 11-18-2012, 12:24 AM