Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible fragment of Lorica Segmentata?
Thanks for the concern but like I said earlier I would like to learn as much as I can about the piece before I end my ownership of the item. It has made me curious and I would like to continue brainstorming on what it might actually be.

Good point concerning the hinge and how it should be some kind of shoulder piece. It is fair to say that this piece is not a traditional mass produced piece of Lorica Segmentata. I think it can be said safely that this was almost certainly not worn (if it is armour) by a legionary.

from Wikipedia concerning the battle of the Teutoberg forest:
Quote:Additionally, several thousand Germanic soldiers were deserting militiamen who wore Roman armour (which would thus show up as "Roman" in the archaeological digs)

Perhaps this is a piece of hastily repaired or home made armour worn either by auxillary (somewhat doubtful, I assume they were more professional), Roman militia of some kind, or even a Germanic person who deserted from the Romans and had armour that need repair. If this piece is from antiquity it will forever bother me that I don't know what it is! But this is the disapointing reality with so many ancient objects.

Messages In This Thread
Possible fragment of Lorica Segmentata? - by Jay - 10-24-2012, 02:37 AM
Possible fragment of Lorica Segmentata? - by james neilson - 10-24-2012, 11:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 661 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,393 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 710 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong