Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Hod Hill spatha - IA or Roman?
Thanks Paul - I remember the previous thread which is why I was looking for something else.

Sadly it's because of Stead that I have these questions!

I would much prefer it to be a Romanised La Tene as that suits what I want to do but it does have an impact on the scabbard.

There are lots of scabbard fittings in the Durden Collection as you suggest. The examples you have shown certainly suggest an organic scabbard, but there is a comment in Stead (P44, Orton Meadows scabbard) which suggest the metal fittings came off the scabbard quite easily; and the shape of the Orton Meadows scabbard reflects those you've highlighted from the Durden Collection.

The other question is, are the other items scabbard mouth guards too and not hilt guards? I really want this to be the case as I think the symmetry of sword hilt and scabbard mouth would be really smart Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Messages In This Thread
What is the Hod Hill spatha - IA or Roman? - by Vindex - 10-13-2012, 09:45 PM