Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)?
Quote:I have doubts. They could've made that up to avoid the embarrassment of an emperor killed by the enemy.
As do I but that's beside the point. The reason I mention the accusation is because it may indicate a large Christian presence in the army by 361 A.D., even if Libanius was lying an effective lie has to be plausible.

Quote:Sure. I guess by then, a whole new generation had grown up long removed from memories of the persecutions or original pilate gospel. Sort of like the Illyrians by the third century--long enough after the (re)conquest of Illyria by Augustus.
Have you considered the possibility that many converts were made in the army since the time of Constantine. What kind of converts could we expect from men with a military background? I suspect most would've turned out more like Constantine rather than Augustine. Remember how he and his sons tended to present the Christian God to the army, it was in terms of a bringer of victory - a god of battles - which would be very appealing to soldiers.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)? - by Theodosius the Great - 10-05-2012, 11:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BBC The Rise and Fall of an Empire Kefka 24 6,993 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Kefka
  Before Fall of Empire Armies (Romans, Huns and Goths...) P. Lilius Frugius Simius 23 4,795 05-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Last Post: P. Lilius Frugius Simius