Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)?
Quote:I thought Hugh Elton had disproven the idea that the late Roman army was mostly composed of 'barbarians.'

I have Warfare in Roman Europe and while Elton may be right that the regular Roman army wasn't barbarized it still seems to have practically disappeared even prior to the loss of African revenue in 439. Aetius had to hire Huns, evidently because the regular forces no longer amounted to much. Not too many citizens wanted to serve anymore...

Quote:The high relative taxation actually made some marginal land too expensive to cultivate, and the abandonment policies could result in cascading crises after major plagues [such as those of Marcus Aurelius].

Interesting but it's noteworthy that plague doesn't seem to have been much of a problem after mid third century (to the fall of the west). In fact, from what I've read, there was a serious plague during the reign of Titus in the first century i.e. before the second century "apogee of Empire" as Grant put it.

Messages In This Thread
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)? - by Tim Donovan - 10-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BBC The Rise and Fall of an Empire Kefka 24 6,993 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Kefka
  Before Fall of Empire Armies (Romans, Huns and Goths...) P. Lilius Frugius Simius 23 4,795 05-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Last Post: P. Lilius Frugius Simius