Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)?
Quote:I have to agree with Voltaire (for reasons other than his own) that it was neither holy, Roman, or an empire. At the very least I can see it as a successor state.

Voltaire (d. 1778) live close to the very end of the Holy Roman Empire (1806). For this reason alone, his opinion cannot be taken as representative other than for his time at best. Throughout the medieval period, the claim of the HRR was not contested by any significant political or ideological force (save Byzantium, obviously).

Quote:I'm more incredulous about the second date you cited. I'm unaware of any western historians who subscribe to the Turkish view that the Ottoman empire was a continuation of the Roman empire.

While the Ottoman sultan added the "emperor" to his titles, I did not mean the Ottoman Empire, but Russia, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Rome.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)

Messages In This Thread
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)? - by Eleatic Guest - 10-01-2012, 01:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BBC The Rise and Fall of an Empire Kefka 24 6,994 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Kefka
  Before Fall of Empire Armies (Romans, Huns and Goths...) P. Lilius Frugius Simius 23 4,797 05-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Last Post: P. Lilius Frugius Simius