Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Constructing my First Lorica Segmentata
With no disrespect to anyone who has made or would make their lorica Segmentata I think that 18 guage steel is too thick, for 18 is 1-2 mm and no thicker than 20 guage 0-9 mm is needed in fact it can even come down to 22 guage 0-6 mm.
For with 20 you loose 25 percent of the weight and with 22 the weight loss is 50 percent overall which is about what the Romans used.
The brasswork can be fitted with domed brass or copper rivets however the girdle plates can be fitted with what are known as Clout nails these are a nail used in roofing felt and have a larger head than ordinary nails.
The holes of the girdle plates need to be given a countersink on the outside and the nails put through the leathers from the inside and peened over into the countersink, this way the plates are closer together and the inside surface of the segmentata is neat and tidy, with these nails the cost of domed rivets for the job is also reduced.
What needs to be considered is reducing weight and most important the cost of production.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Possibly Constructing my First Lorica Segmentata - by PhilusEstilius - 09-20-2012, 07:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? Roman Military History is 4 Me 8 3,708 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me
  Noob question - Wearing lorica segmentata Faustinus 6 3,610 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Agricola
  Leather cords/laces for Lorica Segmentata Agricola 4 2,354 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Agricola