Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)?
Quote:On the contrary, you could also argue that Rome, as it existed previously, ceased to exist because of the crisis period of the 3rd Century. The reformations and changes to Roman society, economy, government, religion, etc. The creation of Tetrarchy rule meant there was no longer a single ruling Emperor. Then in the ensuing civil wars, when Constantine conquered all, it was a victory of Christianity over polytheism and paganism, with a new emperor and a new capitol in the East. Rome wasn't conquered by the Goths, it was conquered by Constantine and his Christians.

That's more the direction I follow :wink:

I would also add the Constitutio Antoninian which, imo, lead straight to the 3rd century crisis.

I take a huge shortcut here but Rome, republic or empire, has been a politic, social and religeous ensemble from +/-200BC to 200AD. Rome (city), Italy and its citizens were the main drives of its power.
In the 3rd century, the power switched to generals and usurper. Different regions and cities within the roman theritory got more significance which lead to a political, economical and even cultural partition of the empire. Gaul had the wealth of its armies, Africa the resources, the East both, leaving Italy and Rome with only its symbols and past glory.

Constantine named the great reinforced this partition by moving it's capital to the East.
thanks for reading, David Hennion

Messages In This Thread
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)? - by Neutra - 09-14-2012, 05:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BBC The Rise and Fall of an Empire Kefka 24 6,993 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Kefka
  Before Fall of Empire Armies (Romans, Huns and Goths...) P. Lilius Frugius Simius 23 4,795 05-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Last Post: P. Lilius Frugius Simius