Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrian\'s \"Ektaxis kat\' Alanon\" transl issue
Quote:Indeed. Infuriatingly he most often uses kouphos and its derivatives. This is often - especially in his Anabasis - taken as describing "light armed". The context in which the words are used more generally fit "most active" or "the fittest".

I think that the word "kouphos" actually means mobile/agile and although usually it truly goes with light armed/armored troops, it can actually be used to differentiate those that were more agile/mobile/had more stamina, from equally armed hoplites. I admit it was a bit difficult to find proof for Arrian does not describe the armament of those pezhetaeroi that were most "kouphoi" in the Anabasis but I found a very good example in his Tactica where he writes that an orderly army is more "mobile" on the march than one that is in disorder. The word he uses there is "kouphoi"!
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
Re: Arrian\'s \"Ektaxis kat\' Alanon\" transl issue - by Macedon - 08-17-2012, 04:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 14,021 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite