Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musculata: Late Roman Legionary Armour?
Quote:
Dan Howard post=318056 Wrote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=318050 Wrote:Also, I was referring to wearing leather Musculatas underneath of chainmail - cause the hardened leather would absorb shock and prevent blunt trauma wounds, and keep chainmail out of any wounds that were inflicted (helping prevent infection).
There is nothing to suggest that they ever wore musculatas with mail armour. There is nothing to suggest that they wore leather musculatas in battle at all.

Quote:I'd imagine so - armor got more and more expensive after the romans began suffering repeated defeats for the first time in the 3rd century because they had to equip and re-equip.
I'd love to see a cite for this. Ideally from a primary source.

Unfortunately pretty much all I have on hand is a pretty lousy translation of Hydatius and a Latin Copy of Merobaudes, plus some notes from one of Peter Heather's books. I just remember seeing that somewhere.

We're moving. :/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Musculata: Late Roman Legionary Armour? - by Flavivs Aetivs - 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD) Spurius Papirius Cursor 91 29,216 08-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Legionary Recruitment In The Late Republican Era LvpvsRomanvs 31 6,429 02-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Last Post: Milites
  Late Roman use of Bronze musculata Paullus Scipio 19 5,497 04-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great