Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satala AD298 - a lost battle?
Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=315846 Wrote:Well, that's a fact shared with a lot of battles, some of them quite famous (Battle of Hastings comes to mind).
But at least that was somewhere near Hastings (I'm guessing), and not around a hundred and fifty miles away!
Nothing that dramatic, just a bit over 6 miles. At a place called 'Battle' today.

Quote:But this is an interesting battle, wherever it was, and it has a couple of unusual anecdotes attached to it. The first is the story in Ammianus about the soldier who finds a bag of pearls in the loot of the Persian camp; he thinks the pearls are worthless and throws them away, but keeps the nice bag...
Ammianus must have moaned when he first heard that... Confusedhock:

Quote:
Jona Lendering post=315855 Wrote:One day, when I have time to take up the Livius.org project again, I will improve it.
Thanks - I don't think there's too much rush though! I've been reading Parker's The Empire Stops Here recently, and he describes Satala (and mentions the famous battle there, of course! :wink: ). But your site actually shows me what the remains of the fortress look like - an invaluable bonus.
Agreed! Jona, your website is already brilliant!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Satala AD298 - a lost battle? - by Nathan Ross - 07-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Re: Satala AD298 - a lost battle? - by Robert Vermaat - 08-01-2012, 11:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satala (ahem: urgent) Jona Lendering 14 3,206 09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering