Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012
Hi Guy,
Quote:I ain't shouting (or shooting for that matter), nor antagonising, that has already been done. Just using the forum to add my view
Indeed you do not, and your views are well received. Thank you.

Quote: I will stick by my statement that for the most part the public don't care. Thats why the film Gladiator was such a success while more recent and more accurate films are not. Thats also why the plastics in Rome make enough money to survive. And yes, we probably could hire 400 students, dress them up in the stuff left over from Hollywood and get away with it.
We fully agree there.
It's indeed the case, and also a problem, because those who do strive to get things right do not always get the appreciation for it. As has been quoted so many times on this forum: if historical films would sell better when more accurate, the boards would be filled with historians. We all know the reality.
My point was that we, although the public does not appreciate our hard work, should nevertheless not cease trying to get it right.

Quote:However, as an organiser, part of the enjoyment is seeing all the groups together. And yes, quality matters, and all of the re-enactment groups do strive for quality. And indeed, flaws should be discussed.
We agree there as well.

Quote:Unfortunately, as re-enactors as well as event organisers we do not get to play at this event. I would love to have got into my Roman gear and enjoyed my hobby. Unfortunately all I could wear was a very unauthentic Roman Tours hi vis vest!
The problems of being in command. No fun! :mrgreen:

Quote:Unfortunately this whole thread was started because of the very negative pointing out of these minor flaws in a public way, without any comment on all of the good points.
Indeed it was, and I think we have turned it around into something much more positive.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012 - by Robert Vermaat - 06-09-2012, 10:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DEVA 2012 66kbm 103 19,330 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Last Post: DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS