Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constantinople - \'New Rome\'?
To Greeks it was commonplace to name cities after themselves. Alexander did so, Philip II did so before him, Cassander did, Seleucos, Antigonos also, all in their own lifetimes, no question asked. I also know that many cities were named after Roman Emperors (Hadrianopolis, Caesaria, Tiberias etc) but I cannot say whether this was done during their lifetime. A more thorough research would easily show whether this was common for them too.

My guess is that the name Byzantion (also named after the name of its founder "Byzas") was outright abolished, which would be the first thing to do whenever a city was thus "created" and officially renamed to ?. I do not personally have any hard evidence, but I would not dismiss the possibility that Constantine gave it two names, that is both Constantinoples and New Rome instead of a simple New Rome. I would also risk to propose that "New Rome" is at least as old a name as "Constantinoples" is. I do not see the Emperor calling it C. alone and then someone adding to it the NR.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
Constantinople - \'New Rome\'? - by Nathan Ross - 06-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Re: Constantinople - \'New Rome\'? - by Macedon - 06-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Re: Constantinople - \'New Rome\'? - by Macedon - 06-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Re: Constantinople - \'New Rome\'? - by Lyceum - 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Re: Constantinople - \'New Rome\'? - by Lyceum - 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Re: Constantinople - \'New Rome\'? - by Macedon - 06-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Re: Constantinople - \'New Rome\'? - by Ghostmojo - 06-09-2012, 12:37 AM