Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Javelins - Written and Pictorial Sources
Did Javelin-throwing exist as a discipline of its own, rather than as a part of the pentathlon? Some of the victors of the latter are listed, for instance in Phlegon of Thralles (Timarchus of Mantineia in the 121st) and Pausanias (search the two parts on Elis on Perseus for Pentathlum), but none are mentioned for javelin in particular.

There are a number of vase paintings - for instance, a Vulcian kylix - which you could use, but you ask for written sources.

Some sources (e.g. http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Olympic3.htm) point out that the athletes would use a loop attached to the javelin to throw it further, but this author's reliance on Seneca's Phaedra that the javelin-throwers could exceed the range Cretan archers is perhaps taken too directly. There's some interesting information there, though.

The other source I can think of is Pliny's de jaculatione equestri (on throwing [javelins] from horseback), but there is the slight inconvenient that this work has not survived, although we can assume it explained how to use the horse's own movement to make a better throw. You may also want to check the Cynegeticum (which suggests two javelins for hunting, though I did not have the time to read it fully) and other literary works on Hunting.

This is pretty much brainstorming, but I hope it helps to kick this off.
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Javelins - Written Sources - by M. Caecilius - 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Re: Javelins - Written Sources - by hoplite14gr - 04-24-2012, 01:10 AM
Re: Javelins - Written Sources - by M. Caecilius - 04-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Re: Javelins - Written Sources - by D B Campbell - 04-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Re: Javelins - Written Sources - by Astiryu1 - 04-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Re: Javelins - Written Sources - by Astiryu1 - 04-28-2012, 03:44 PM