Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Gladius was in use during Iberian conquest?
Quote:Matt, honest question, do you know of any sources supporting this use in the Gallic wars? I've always thought it was a bit more supposition on the part of some, but then again, I'm no expert.

I will concur though, that from appearance, the form of the Mainz sword certainly looks strikingly similar to the late Republican Hispaniensis.

Alexander, excellent question, after rereading Peter Connolly's Greece and Rome at War, he describes the Osuna sword dating to Caesar's seige of Osuna in 46 BC as being 64-65" in blade length (although the entire tip of the sword was missing so that is an esitmate). But the blade was 1cm wider than most Hispaniensis, a size more fitting of the Mainz style, the wasp of the sword was less than that of other Hispaniensis judging from Connolly's picture and a more fitting wasp of the Mainz style. This sword was what I used as evidence for Caesar's men using the Mainz style (my bad though, it was a little after the Gallic Wars), however although the wasp and width of the sword is correct, the sword is too long to be a Mainz as we know them, now that I look at normal Mainz lengths.

This sword is very likely the step between the Gladius Hispaniensis and the Mainz, and it is not classified by Connolly as either.

This was the evidence I used for the Mainz being used by Caesar, however I misread the blade length for the sword length. I do not have other noteworth sources available to me, and Connolly barely mentions the Mainz version aside from illustrations
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt

Messages In This Thread
Re: What Gladius was in use during Iberian conquest? - by Matt Collettivs Ave - 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM