Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finds from 1st Punic War Sicilian Naval Battle
I'm a bit jealous! It sounds like a great talk.

Quote:
John Maddox Roberts post=303424 Wrote:Any pics of these finds (especially the helmets)?

There were pictures in the presentation, but unfortunately I don't think anything has been published yet. Many finds were heavily encrusted with sea life because they had been sitting exposed on sand for millennia, but many rams and helmets have already been cleaned.
That's interesting. If the rams were that exposed and close to land, I would have expected divers or fishermen to haul them the few hundred yards to the beach and sell them as scrap bronze within the last 2200 years. They must have snagged a few anchors and nets in that period ...
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Finds from 1st Punic War Sicilian Naval Battle - by Sean Manning - 01-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early 5th Century Naval Battle Flavivs Aetivs 5 2,232 03-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  Ancient naval battle rises above the waves Gunthamund Hasding 13 2,763 11-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Post Second Punic War battle help Timotheus 8 2,484 08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar