Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Segmentata waist plate length variations.
Sam.

I am trying to understand what you mean about the left and right having longer and shorter lengths for overlap, all girdle plates left and right sides should be equal lengths for you have the same overlap at both front and rear on a segmentata.
Then of course you make it as you would any garment allowing for waist and chest measurements, the better way to make the girdle is in fact to make it from bottom or waist upward this way you work out the horizontal overlap as you go up.

In my own opinion I do not think that soldiers would wear a subarmalis under a segmentata, then for breathing space it's better to just make it one inch bigger than your actual measurements all around.
The better thickness is 20 gauge and forget this foolish idea that a segmentata was anywhere near 18 gauge, I would even say that I think most segmentata were only around 22 gauge with the sheet metal hand beaten to make it as a stressed finish.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Re: Segmentata waist plate length variations. - by PhilusEstilius - 12-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mainz Gladius Waist Binoy Fernandez 17 3,762 11-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Lorica Segmentata Plate Thickness G. Fitzpatrick 11 5,340 02-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus
  Top Back Plate Question on Segmentata Grumio 7 2,219 07-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Grumio