Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sizing Greaves?
Quote:Thanks Dienekes, I do not plan on running a marathon in them, but I would need them to stay in place, even if I have to have some additional lining added while I walked, walked long distances even. For the most part, nothing more than simply walking around an event or the house.

If you don't mind me asking, I saw your photo in the "Show us your Greek Impression" thread, I noticed how far these went up your leg, about how tall is you leg from the base to the top of your knee?

Also, thanks to Theo, somehow I forgot to recall the LegioXX site, a sacrilege to us Roman Reenactors! lol

Well I wouldn't be running a Marathon either, even without them lol. It sounds like you'll be doing much the same work with them that I do and you may find them ok for that.

I wouldn't say I have particularly long legs, but from the base to the top of my knee is 17 inches.

Quote:Might this have been a real problem for the Greeks? I read that the Alexander Sarcophagus shows a couple of infantrymen (Hypaspists ?) wearing a red band below the knee to secure the greaves. The actual panel might be this one. I'm guessing the original colors on the sarcophagus were determined through some special analysis because I can't see red bands.

~Theo

It's entirely possible I suppose, but I must admit I haven't seen this anywhere else that I can recall. But we are certainly aware of the bandaging around the ankles so I don't see why not. Would it have been likely that every single hoplite would have perfectly fitting "made to measure" greaves? In my mind, I don't think so, and even if it were the case, would they have stayed that way particularly after seeing action/being struck in battle etc.

Perhaps this is something that could be tested but given how much money and time would go into fabricating a pair of made to measure greaves, I'm not sure there are many out there that would then be prepared to batter them to hell and see if they still fit as well after!
Kieron Vernon aka Dienekes
Co-Founder
Sparta Mora
www.sparta-mora.org
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
Sizing Greaves? - by Matt Collettivs Ave - 12-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Re: Sizing Greaves? - by Theodosius the Great - 12-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Re: Sizing Greaves? - by dienekes480bc - 12-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Re: Sizing Greaves? - by Matt Collettivs Ave - 12-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Re: Sizing Greaves? - by Theodosius the Great - 12-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Re: Sizing Greaves? - by dienekes480bc - 12-12-2011, 07:03 AM