Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research questions for a book
Quote:
Mithras post=298445 Wrote:Yes, the Empire series. I've had to give up on book 3, though. All these Tungrian's have suddenely been recruited into a cavalry wing and are now charging around on horseback. Maybe I'm just a dyed in the wool infantryman, but cavalry has always been a big turn-off for me. I just can't read any further! :o

Nathan Ross post=298210 Wrote:
Mithras post=298201 Wrote:I'm reading a series of novels now, set on Hadrian's Wall, and the author easily promotes the primus pilus up to command of a legion. OK in wartime, but anathema for anything longer than a short-term measure for the class-conscious Romans.
Is that Anthony Riches' series? I've only read the first two so far (too busy reading hefty novels about India!), so I can't comment on the accuracy of his rank structures. But, as you say, Primus Pilus to Legatus would be unorthodox at best...

Well, if I recall correctly, auxiliary cavalry was better paid than auxiliary infantry...so those troops would have an incentive to serve in cavalry... But that'd probably mean permanent transfer and not temporary assignment like in book. Cool

Once again I find myself taking gentle exception to your views, Paul. The actual plot line in Fortress of Spears (or at least as I recall it) was that a squadron of empty saddled cavalry horses (due to a previous action) are detached from their Ala and attached to the auxiliary cohort in question, to be ridden by those infantrymen who have a vague idea which end of the horse eats and which end pumps out the brown stuff. At no point do I recall the Tungrians upping sticks en masse and joining any cavalry units. I do recall having our hero join them for a couple of rides (and a fight or two), which is admittedly a bit of a literary device to make the story more interesting to the reader, but the phrase 'all those Tungrians have suddenly been recruited into a cavalry wing' is a bit rich.

Criticise by all means, there are all sorts of ways you can have a go at my work if Amazon is any guide (characterisation, plot, swearing, etc etc), but please make the effort to make it factual, eh? What with this and the example I've highlighted above, you seem to be having a right go at me - but in a factually incorrect manner.

By the way Paul (Elliott), I've just realised what a spooky co-incidence I've noticed here! You started posting these crits of the Empire series just after I took equally gentle exception to a review someone called Mrs C Elliott posted about 'Fortress of Spears' on Amazon. She's not all that prolific though, given that the only other book she's ever reviewed is yours - although she seemed to like it quite a lot! Anyway, what a coincidence that you should start posting at just the same time. What are the odds of that, eh?

Tony.

Messages In This Thread
Research questions for a book - by Kate Quinn - 10-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Jvrjenivs - 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Kate Quinn - 10-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Kate Quinn - 10-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Mithras - 10-18-2011, 02:30 AM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Mithras - 10-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Sardaukar - 10-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Kate Quinn - 10-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Kate Quinn - 11-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Tony Riches - 12-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Mithras - 12-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Mithras - 12-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Re: Research questions for a book - by jkaler48 - 12-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Re: Research questions for a book - by Mithras - 12-06-2011, 01:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  research for historical novel. Two questions Sigurdrifa 31 5,578 07-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Stackferret