Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did the oval shield replace the scutum?
Quote: I don't want to criticize here but the Hasta and Kontos are two different spears - the Kontos emerged in the Late 5th century as a rougly 8-12 foot cavalry spear if I'm correct. You're the expert though.
You are mistaken. Both names are used for a number of spears, apparently Romans did not stick to one name for one type of spear. The kontos was also a much earlier thrusting spear,but it was also a name used for a thrusting spear in late Roman times. The hasta was a thrusting spear of shorter length during the Principate, but we see it used for longer thrusting spears as well. Both can be used by infantry as well as cavalry. Confusing, I agree.
Quote: Also I think he means shieldwall, and I thought the pila was replaced by the spicula and then the Hasta and lancaea/veruta javelins replaced that.
Who means shieldwall?
Yes, the pilum (pila is plural) was replaced by the speculum. No, the lancea was an earlier throwing spear. The verutuum was also a throwing spear, but a much lighter one than the pilum. The hasta was a thrusting spear.
Quote: And the Hasta was not developed in the 3rd Century AD it had been around for years because the Auxilia used it during the Principate era and the Pre-Marian Army did as well.
Who said the hasta was developed during the 3rd c.? I said that the LONGER thrusting spear (named hasta) was developed during the 3rd c. The hasta used before by the Principate auxilia was a shorter weapon.
Quote:The complete Roman Army - Adrian Goldsworthy
Roman Warfare - Adrian Goldsworthy
Rome and Her Enemies - Osprey Publishing
Nice books, but not much used for a detailed study of tactics and weapons. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why was did the oval shield replace the scutum? - by Robert Vermaat - 11-09-2011, 09:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oval Scutum in use 1st Century A.D.? LonginusXXI 28 13,220 08-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Anaticvla
  Did the Draco replace the Signum in the 4th century AD? markhebb 0 1,051 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Last Post: markhebb
  Scutum shield, and other issues Woadwarrior 14 3,168 05-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus