Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep.
George,

The basis of exactly what I mean is in Bryan's post.
He has fleshed out the point I made (I thought quite simply), that the gaps in the checherboard can and will be covered by the men in the formations, both in the units in the rearward line, and also by skirmishers. And the men in the rear lines of each frontline
unit will be quite capable of defending the flanks.
I think they would be relishing the hope the enemy would dare enter the gaps, as they would then have to turn t oface the sides of the Roman units, and open themselves up to the fire from skirmishers and the rear units.
I realise in my head the picture is clear, and can only apologise for not taking time and effort to write more on the topic, as it is one I have had in my head for quite a few years!

I realise maybe what I see as simple to understand may not be put across so eloquantly, but to me simple is best.

As I said, if I get time I will try and put it into a longer dialog and copy and paste it here in the future. I think Bryan has said exactly what I mean, in just a more verbose way.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep. - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-10-2011, 04:41 AM
Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep. - by antiochus - 07-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep. - by antiochus - 07-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep. - by antiochus - 07-03-2014, 02:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tasks and age of Military Tribunes during the Late Republic and Principate Corvus 8 833 12-11-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Flavius Inismeus
  Late republic deployment McClane 1 1,604 11-02-2016, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  Tactical Change in the Late Republic Michael J. Taylor 5 3,473 03-19-2016, 01:03 AM
Last Post: Steven James