Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep.
On the topic "Use of whistles to relay commands in battle" a few of us have gone off topic and have created a separate discussion. So I opened this thread so we can stay on the topic matter.
Discussion will be about the set piece battle formations of the Mid Republic (start of 2nd Punic War) to the Later Republic (Caesar's Civil War era) I think it would be instructive and entertaining to post our ideas of how the Romans fought down to the individual level up to the Legion/Army.

I think we should have some rules so this topic doesn't just turn into a discussion that goes no place. So here they are:
1. Include documented evidence from an ancient source. Not "I read" or "I heard" but actual written quotes. Documentation!
2. Since a lot of what we are discussing is based on conjecture or personal ideas/ assumptions state reasons why. They could be that someone else did it and it worked, the psychological nature, etc. Reenactments, watching video's of riots on youtube, etc.
3. Please do not participate just to disprove other theories. Have the courage to put your own out there as well and why you believe it possible.
4. Be courteous, polite and professional. If neither party debating are willing to except that they are wrong, be the bigger man and shift topic.
5. Make illustrations if you can. When you write something down it might make total sense to you because you also are picturing it already it your head. When you write it down the readers might not get it.
6. This shouldn't turn into a personal discussion among a few people. Please don't just highlight what someone else wrote and then argue it. Everyone read it already, just keep going and state your own argument about how YOU think they were organized and fought. Keep it flowing and interesting.

For those that want to get caught up, read the Topic about the whistles and the quotes from myself, Brent Nielson, Macedon and a few others.

Messages In This Thread
Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep. - by Bryan - 10-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep. - by antiochus - 07-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep. - by antiochus - 07-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep. - by antiochus - 07-03-2014, 02:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tasks and age of Military Tribunes during the Late Republic and Principate Corvus 8 887 12-11-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Flavius Inismeus
  Late republic deployment McClane 1 1,613 11-02-2016, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  Tactical Change in the Late Republic Michael J. Taylor 5 3,495 03-19-2016, 01:03 AM
Last Post: Steven James