Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of whistles to relay commands in battle
Byron wrote: The maniples would have small enough gaps between them for maneuver and to allow them to open and close ranks without upsetting order. The gaps between cohorts are now bigger, equal to their width, but since the formation is now about 480 men strong instead of 160 it would be extremely unlikely for the enemy to be able to surround them and destroy them.

The gaps don't exist at all in the front line, each of those four cohorts is tied in with the next. Macedon and I have discussed this many times and have yet to agree. He says they all line up 6-eight ranks deep. It is both mathematically and physically impossible for the second and third line formations to line up as deep and as wide with only three cohorts instead of four. I propose the following and more practiable approach: the second lines simply line up thinner (say four to six insted of the six to eight)than the first line. Since third line cohorts were more than likely even shorter on manpower, they can attempt to do the same with ranks 1-3 men deep or remain in their sold cohort formations and fill in where necessary and as needed. Although I like the whistle idea for individual Centuries, it is not due to HBO. Cornicens and Bucinare are assigned to the cohorts and Century level. Occum's Razor says (simplest solution is the most likeley) these were used to deliver signals not whistles. As far as the enemy learning and using them, Caesar's opponents usually didn't live long enough to put such an idea to the test and he makes no record of it in Gaul. His Pompeian opponents might have been a different story but the evidence is lacking.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Use of whistles to relay commands in battle - by Brent Nielsen - 10-04-2011, 05:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman whistles Caballo 2 2,425 05-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Luca
  HBO Roman whistles Conal 2 2,264 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Conal