Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Development AD43-93
All,

Thanks for the positive criticism of my comment. Some very informed views.

Joze,

Some good points, the Augustan era romanised weapons graves give us a rare look at finds in a different archaeological context - individual weapon panopolies. Can we safely assess that such are Auxilia? (irrespective whether infantry or cavalry) I believe so. There is also the grave at Nijmegen, with the Gallic A, which we can add to this series, plus those from Idria Pri Baci, Verdun, Chassenard.
If these are indeed early first century / Augustan auxilia, how might they differ from legionaries? What isn't included?

Crispus,

I think I have been vindicated on cited examples of inscribed Coolus. I agree about the compelling evidence for the Imperial Gallic I equipped Flavian era Adiutrix legions, but suspect that this is a trend wider than just these two units. We also find near identical cheek guards at the classic legionary sites of Vindonissa and Caerleon.

On cresting styles, the Besancon find is the exception that disproves the rule, but I do not believe it disproves the trend. Feather mounts and crest knobs are incredibly rare on early imperial iron helms, they are very common on copper alloy examples. The 'anther' type crest mount I am not familiar with. My assessment was that the Imperial Gallic I types were generally fitted with a crest knob as the primary crest support element.

On dagger sheaths - I'm sure Type B has been found in late First Century contexts in Romania, though I can't remember whether these were Trajanic or not. Otherwise I would have thought that the common use of frame types in this era would be equally speculative without evidence in context.

Jens,

I am certainly not asserting that iron or copper alloy helms were exclusive to either arm of the Roman military, but more a general trend. I think it is possible to over emphasise the lack of uniformity in the Roman army. I find reenactment line ups where each member of contubernium has a completely different pattern of helmet unconvincing. Examining one squad, in one place, at the same time, of a similar rank, on a similar task, with a common supply chain, general trends must surely be identifiable.
I had no idea that Klumbach et al had assigned Imperial Gallic helms to the Auxiliary Cavalry! Food for thought.
On iron Imperial Gallic helmets in legionary camps, I would be very surprised if the same sites did not also produce evidence of copper alloy Coolus helms. If my theory holds, you will normally find both in simialar contexts due to the grouping of Legionaries and Auxilia at the same locations.
How else do we explain the phenomenon of the two helmet patterns being found in identical contexts across Northern Europe for a span of 50 years or more?

Finally, Nathan,
Copy your point on Devils Advocacy, if you'd only written Infantry Development AD43-93 we wouldn't be in the buggers muddle of trying to untangle what may have been legionary from what was auxiliary!!!
(and why those dates? If by AD43 you are looking for a robust UK orientated Terminus Post Quem, consider that even in the UK there is now nascent debate as to whether some Roman military equipment was deposited pre AD43...)
Tim Edwards
Leg II Avg (UK)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiiavg.org.uk">http://www.legiiavg.org.uk
<a class="postlink" href="http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com">http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com

Messages In This Thread
Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Nathan Ross - 09-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Re: Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Crispvs - 09-18-2011, 06:08 AM
Re: Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Crispvs - 09-20-2011, 02:14 AM
Re: Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Joze - 09-20-2011, 02:40 AM
Re: Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Renatus - 09-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Re: Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Peroni - 09-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Re: Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Joze - 09-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Re: Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Tim Edwards - 09-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Re: Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Joze - 09-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Re: Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Joze - 09-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Re: Legionary Development AD43-93 - by Joze - 09-23-2011, 07:50 PM