Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check(er)ed clothing in the Roman army, 1st C
Quote:Are you referring to something like the picture I added in my first post? Or something less complex?
Less complex than that - I was referring solely to the Falkirk fragment, which appears to feature a sort of basic 'sett' - stripes are woven into the plain background to form a grid, and where these stripes intersect a darker square appears. A true tartan would be a development of this, with more intersecting lines, basically. Although I confess I don't know enough about tartan to determine where the boundaries might lie!

'Chequered' cloth on the other hand, would be a simple arrangement of light and dark squares, as on a chess board.

Quote:..more misstakes, again here, zitat: "the Celts for many thousands of year....." and: "Early Romans talked of the Celts.."
The origins of tartan are, I think, a misty and hazardous subject, much cluttered with mythography and nationalistic imaginings - certainly antiquarianism has little to offer the serious student of history!

Thanks for the links about the various weaving patterns though.
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Re: Check(er)ed clothing in the Roman army, 1st C - by Nathan Ross - 09-15-2011, 04:43 AM