Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about aspis/hoplon shield
Quote:He probably means the thread about Alexander the Great who was Macedonian and not Greek. I said something about none of the Greeks from antiquity having a national Greek identity, city states were more important to their notion of self. You were a Lacedaimonian or an Athenian, Corinthian, Megarian or whatever identity you were attached to. Then also I remember saying something about the funny aspect of present day Macedonia which pissess off the Greek nation big time... Something like that.

It is in my view not at all valid to attach a nationalist Greek sentiment to ancient history when speaking of the ancient Greek world. The only valid argument can be that the underlying culture could be called Greek.

M.VIB.M.

What complete nonsense. You are just being evasive and dismissive.

Go and find that thread and respond there. To deny the notion of Greekness to the ancient Greeks is bizarre. Ancient views of nationalism (Greek or otherwise) may well be very different than modern ones - but they did exist. Any academic will tell you that. Yes dwellers of individual city-states viewed themselves as being from that place first; and then perhaps from their region; and of course from one of the four main ethnos; but untimately they were all Greeks (including the Dorian Makedones) and everybody else was a barbarian. I explained Alexander's particular cicumstances on that other thread. You probably just chose to ignore it because you couldn't answer.

Your ill-explained view (which seems to be little more than just a personal opinion without basis) about Alexander not being Greek and all the rest of it flies in the face of close to 99% of historic opinion. Unless of course you happen to writing from somewhere in FYROM in which case I could understand the revisionism.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Question about aspis/hoplon shield - by Joe - 08-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Re: Question about aspis/hoplon shield - by Joe - 08-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Re: Question about aspis/hoplon shield - by Joe - 09-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Re: Question about aspis/hoplon shield - by Ghostmojo - 09-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Re: Question about aspis/hoplon shield - by Joe - 09-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Re: Question about aspis/hoplon shield - by Joe - 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Re: Question about aspis/hoplon shield - by Joe - 09-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Re: Question about aspis/hoplon shield - by Joe - 09-10-2011, 06:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 2nd Greek aspis (shield) with improved porpax - steps & pics PygmyHippo 3 1,294 09-18-2020, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Jehan Gelria
  How I built my Greek aspis (hoplite shield) - step by step photos PygmyHippo 5 4,444 08-30-2020, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Jehan Gelria
  How to make a Hoplon/Aspis? Apollodoros 4 5,894 11-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Huovi