Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
carrying Helmets
Andy asked:<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Cool pic. What modifications have you done to you Ital. G?<br>
<br>
I know I'll have to replace the screws holding the crossbraces on eventually (it's an Albion/Deepeeka) with rivets; what references are you using for the carrying handle? materials?<br>
<br>
<hr><br>
<br>
I replaced all of the hateful, fetid machine screws with good, honest rivits, added the carry handle, used pumice and oil to take the factory mirror polish down to a more realistic level (a nice smooth satin finish that's easier to maintain 'in the field'), and most importantly, supplied a suitable amount of abuse.<br>
<br>
When I remove my helmet - I toss it on the ground. From demos and free-sparring it has also gotten some tasty dents (from both <em>rudis</em> and rebated steel - most of which get pounded out.<br>
<br>
As far as the reference (Robinson 73) - it reads<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>In my opinion, this helmet was originally fitted with a carrying handle; but the loss of the whole central area of the neck-guard, which has had to be restored, leaves this a matter of conjecture.<hr><br>
<br>
It has been a tradition with the IX to individualize personally- and club-owned gear, to help minimize the cookie-cutter look.<br>
<br>
The carry handle on my Italic G is a simple bronze wire held on with 2 bronze cotter-type pins - simple, inelegant, ugly.<br>
<br>
Scythius <p>LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
- FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS - </p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org

Messages In This Thread
carrying Helmets - by Anonymous - 03-08-2004, 02:48 AM
Carrying helmets, etc. - by Matthew Amt - 03-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Re: Carrying helmets, etc. - by scythius - 03-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Re: Carrying helmets, etc. - by Anonymous - 03-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Re: Carrying helmets, etc. - by Anonymous - 03-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Re: Carrying helmets, etc. - by scythius - 03-08-2004, 11:43 PM
simple, inelegant, ugly....Little, yellow, different. - by Anonymous - 03-11-2004, 12:23 AM
reassignment of Decanus Scythius - by Anonymous - 03-12-2004, 04:14 AM
Pilum Hassles - by Mithras - 04-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Carrying Strap - by Mithras - 04-22-2004, 06:51 PM