Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Effectiveness of Lorica Hamata/chainmail
Hey Matt, Confusedmile:
My opinion on the matter is that, when the Romans were fighting, they usually fought an enemy that used slashing swords. Segmentata you would have to think of hinges breaking and literally, plates falling off as a result. Romans as we all know used large shields covering most of the body. Segmentata would restrict movements, and also serve the same purpose as the shield. Hamata, you still carry the shield which basically equals wearing segmentata, but you also get much less restrictions... Any spearmen, arrows, and short swords would be stopped by the shield, any long swords that get past the shield are only good for slashing, which chain mail ( riveted or butted) would protect against. Wink
Do you get what I'm getting at? To be honest, took the Romans pleanty time to figure it out. Segmentata is still a very nice piece of work, but if I were to chose between seg, or hamata, and STILL carry a big shield that practically does the seg's work, I would go for hamata....maybe I'll be able to twost my arm around a bit easier to scratch my arse! :mrgreen:
Sam
Samuel J.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Effectiveness of Lorica Hamata/chainmail - by Fidelis Sam - 08-01-2011, 07:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wearing Lorica Hamata Under Everyday Clothes? Anonimus 0 1,000 11-06-2017, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Anonimus
  Does Lorica hamata exist in the sources? Anonymous 7 4,293 11-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  lorica hamata real weight marcos 34 10,610 10-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Last Post: marcos