Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equites sagittarii (late 2nd century)
Quote:Basically it is not necessary anyway, probably every doctor in Medicine is able to quickly tell what happens to your neck when you drop of a horse backwards wearing one of these helmets.

*snap*

It nowadays is also possible to wear a cake on your head while sitting on a horse, but we wouldn´t expect the Romans to have done so.

I can agree that we cannot positively establish cavalry use based on the available evidence but EXCLUDING the possibility of cavalry use based on what you think a doctor would think of medical implications of wearing it does not appear to meet the scientific standards for verifying a hypothesis you have upheld in your own post.

Quote:there is a larger series of helmets that qualify as "niederbieber" but don´t have neckguards or just short ones. They are in HRR "Cavalry Sports I"

I assume that there is a typo in your post. These helmets (in continental Europe referred to as the Guisborough type) may qualify as "Cavalry" (?) helmets but they have nothing in common with Niederbieber helmets.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany

Messages In This Thread
Re: Equites sagittarii (late 2nd century) - by Jens Horstkotte - 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equites promoti indigenae: creation of a late roman frontier TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 1 2,268 01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat