Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equites sagittarii (late 2nd century)
Quote:But then, where are the Cavelry helmets of this period if not these?

Byron, you have loads of different "Cavalry Sports" helmets, for which we now have evidence that they were also worn in Battle. What all of these have in common are the short neck guards.

Cavalry Sports G
Cavalry Sports H
Cavalry Sports I
Cavalry Sports K
Cavalry Sports D
Cavalry Sports C

The next question is: Of what use would a large neckguard be for a cavalryman? Is this use so important that it waives the danger for your neck when falling backwards from horseback?

@ Jens
Quote:First of all, the Bodegraven helmet would have belonged to a cavalry trooper.
I wrote a bit about that above. Apparently the context is not that clear, as well as the inscription.
Quote: Secondly, the "Pseudocorinthian" style mask helmets (such as the one found at Heddernheim) have the same deep neck guards and are generally accepted to be cavalry helmets
As far as I can see in the pics linked above, the neckguards are considerably smaller.
Quote:Thirdly, Junkelmann, who has conducted cavalry exercises wearing such helmets found them absolutely suitable and in fact refuted Connolly's assertion that they would force the wearer into a more upright stance and therefore indicate changing fighting styles.
Of course it is possible to wear these helmets on horseback, any other suggestion would be silly. The question is: Did the Romans do it? Which cannot be answered by an empiric study at all.

The major problem here is again Robinsons misleading typology. For the relevant discussion check the helmet Database Forum section.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Equites sagittarii (late 2nd century) - by caiusbeerquitius - 07-25-2011, 01:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equites promoti indigenae: creation of a late roman frontier TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 1 2,266 01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat