Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equites sagittarii (late 2nd century)
As this thread has evolved into a helmet discussion, I dare to add a few comments on 3rd century helmets. However, if possible, it may be a good idea to split this thread into two:

First of all I do not see any difference in terms of deepness of neck guard between Niederbieber and Heddernheim style helmets. Both come with shorter, flater and also deeper neck guard variants. Also, the exact form of neck guard is often difficult to establish as only the bronze trimming and/or a few fragments survive.

Secondly, without having ever worn such a helmet, I do not see conclusive reasons why it should not be possible to use it on horseback. First of all, the Bodegraven helmet would have belonged to a cavalry trooper. Secondly, the "Pseudocorinthian" style mask helmets (such as the one found at Heddernheim) have the same deep neck guards and are generally accepted to be cavalry helmets (although this could of course also be untrue). Thirdly, Junkelmann, who has conducted cavalry exercises wearing such helmets found them absolutely suitable and in fact refuted Connolly's assertion that they would force the wearer into a more upright stance and therefore indicate changing fighting styles.

This, however, would be a topic on which comments of people who have actually worn such helmets on horseback (you see a lot of reenactors with such helmets) would be most welcome!

Based on the foregoing, the traditional theory developed by Waurick, that Niederbieber and Heddernheim helmets were "universal" helmet types for cavalry and infantry use (with the Heddernheim helmets likely being the cavalry variant in view of their more extensive decoration) still appears convincing to me.

This does not mean that they were the only helmets worn. Although there is no specimens with a production date securely dated to the third century (unless one accepts the fragments from a 280 AD layer in Regensburg as belonging to this type), it is highly likely that the Guisborough style Pseudoattic helmets were also worn during this period. This is based on their close similarity to the "cavalry sports" which were definitely worn during this period. Petculcescu speculated that those helmets may have belonged to the decurions but in view of the Theilenhofen helmet which clearly belonged to a trooper this is unlikely and the theory may appear too rigid anyway.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany

Messages In This Thread
Re: Equites sagittarii (late 2nd century) - by Jens Horstkotte - 07-25-2011, 11:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equites promoti indigenae: creation of a late roman frontier TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 1 2,268 01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat