Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ways to promote a book?
Quote:Yes, get people to talk about it. Who is the market? Academics? Then perhaps get academics to review it in school newspapers, department newsletters, personal blogs or even social network pages.

Perhaps the author can volunteer to write related articles for newspapers or journals for free, with the caveat that the book is mentioned.

The author can volunteer to be interviewed as an expert for other media, again with the caveat that the book is mentioned.

The author could offer to give talks to student groups, conferences or any other gathering of the target market.

All this has been done by the author, although there can always been done much more. I think I'll try to establish some contacts with the press. I am not at all well-connected there, but hopefully the topic as such attracts enough interest.

What is the market? The main target group are, as you can tell from the price, academics and it is published in an publishing house with a strong academic reputation, Brill. It is a scholarly work through and through, with hundreds of references and input from ten years of research, but at the same time its implications are also strongly political. And that is also the point where I started to offer my help, as it certainly faces a steep uphill struggle in the country of its origin strongly, since it opposes the received orthodoxy there. Therefore, (some) people might choose to ignore the book unless it becomes so visible that they feel they can no longer evade a debate.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)

Messages In This Thread
Ways to promote a book? - by Eleatic Guest - 07-22-2011, 04:08 AM
Re: Ways to promote a book? - by Nathan Ross - 07-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Re: Ways to promote a book? - by Epictetus - 07-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Re: Ways to promote a book? - by Musivarius - 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Re: Ways to promote a book? - by Jvrjenivs - 07-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Re: Ways to promote a book? - by Eleatic Guest - 07-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Re: Ways to promote a book? - by Epictetus - 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Re: Ways to promote a book? - by sonic - 07-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Re: Ways to promote a book? - by Jona Lendering - 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Re: Ways to promote a book? - by Eleatic Guest - 07-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Re: Ways to promote a book? - by Eleatic Guest - 07-28-2011, 03:46 PM