Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st to 2nd century baldric fastening experiences
Thank you for your answers.
Studs are attested in combination with third century baldrics in Illerup as you can see here:

http://www.illerup.dk/custom/illerup_lar...ension=jpg

And this system of attachment can also be used with the suspension rings of the gladius as Agrimensor showed.

Well actually my head is aching and i am not a bit further with my investigation. But next week I will have the oportunity to work with the plans of Illerup in GIS.

My idea is that there was a possibility of attaching the third century baldric to the cingulum with some kind of stud or fitting (like it seems to be attested on the Bishapur relief). But there must have been also the opportunity to loosen that if needed.

But because there are as you see also in the third century ways of wearing a baldric without the round phalerae attested i was wondering how things were in the first and second century...

Btw. in Vindonissa a buckle has been found with a gladius and the balteus, but it was not interpreted as part of the attachment yet (Deschler-Erb 1996, Jb Pro Vindonissa).

@agrimensor: the construction can be done with one buckle and without any problems of getting it through the rings.
As i have no gladius and leather belt i will try to sketch the solution later...
regards
noxia /Suzi

Messages In This Thread
Re: 1st to 2nd century baldric fastening experiences - by noxia - 07-14-2011, 11:38 PM