Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastening Greek helmets
Hello John
In fact the number of corinthians with holes just under the ear is very big. It is true that soem don't have them and that some have both there and in the tip of th cheek guards,but it is not unfrequent to have holes under the ear. I have made two suh holes in my manning corinthian helmet. They're so small and since there is no evidence for rings ever found in such helmets,i made a loop out of hemp cord and just tied a knot on the outside of the helmet. Trough the loops whatever kind of thin strap would do the job if only tied under the chin.I found that this is a very secure way to tie the helmet,and it doesn't even need to be tied very tightly.
The same happens with many illyrian helmets,since the cheek guards of illyrians and corinthians are very much alike. I know your illyrian,like mine,has ear holes and this is a problem on where to punch holes,but i think it best to make them just in front and under the ear.
Now,there ARE greek helmets with holes next to the rim of the neck guard. There are some early corinthians if i remember correctly,and certainly some chalkideans.
Of course hellenistic helmets had this method of securing the helmet,but it seems it originated much earlier,even if it wasn't the norm,like for the romans.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Fastening Greek helmets - by John Conyard - 05-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Re: Fastening Greek helemts - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 05-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Re: Fastening Greek helmets - by John Conyard - 05-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Re: Fastening Greek helmets - by John Conyard - 05-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Re: Fastening Greek helmets - by John Conyard - 06-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Re: Fastening Greek helmets - by Dan Howard - 06-17-2011, 03:04 AM
Re: Fastening Greek helmets - by John Conyard - 06-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Pilos Helmets with Crests? Gregory J. Liebau 8 3,352 10-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite