Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another question regarding javelins
I admit to not having a good grasp on how horsemen threw javelins, but this brings up many problems for them. For an ideal throwing distance you'd want your horse moving fast and directly at the foe, but the problem arises in how long it takes to recover and turn your mount. An archer can turn as in a caracole and shoot when perpendicular to the battle line, but this would not be best for a javelineer. Once you throw, if it takes too long to turn your mount you get dangerously close to the infantry.

It is an interesting conundrum in that a force of infantry javelineers in opened order with space to move can out throw cavalry considerably. But in that spacing, if the cavalry press home they will go Albuera on the infantry. The solution, one that arises over and over is a few ranks of heavy spearmen in front of the loosely ordered missile troops. The Fulcum was this and probably the early greek proto-phalanx as well.

I am always struck my how afraid of hoplites cavalry are in this period. If there ranges were this meagre, it makes sense. A man can accelerate faster than a horse, so if you have to throw, turn, and accelerate away, all within 30m or so, you can be caught by infantry.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Yet another question regarding javelins - by PMBardunias - 05-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Re: Yet another question regarding javelins - by Mattias - 08-03-2011, 02:46 PM