Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Functionality of the triplex acies
Quote:Hi George,
George post=286657 Wrote:What do you mean by "phalangial" but not "phalanx"? The definition of the word phalanx is men in relatively close order standing in a rough line. The Celts deployed in phalanx as did the Greeks. Or is it that you want to differentiate with the Greek phalanx?
Yes, that's what I mean. If you say 'phalanx', everybody starts thinking about Greek stuff, while 'phalangial' indeed means 'in a single linear formation' (as you mentioned about Celts), as opposed to a manipular formation.
Still, there are obvious problems with saying that something which Greek military writers would call a phalanx is NOT a phalanx. I notice that when we talk about the ancient sources, even if we know the original languages, our understanding is often contaminated by the modern-language definitions of Greek and Latin words. I think the best strategy is either to reclaim one of the ancient meanings, or use terms in the language you are writing in. For example, “spearman” and “pikeman” are perfectly clear in English, so there is no need to invent the pseudo-Greek phalangite and distinguish it from hoplite as some wargamers do.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Functionality of the triplex acies - by rrgg - 04-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Re: Functionality of the triplex acies - by rrgg - 04-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Re: Functionality of the triplex acies - by KET - 04-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Re: Functionality of the triplex acies - by Sean Manning - 04-20-2011, 07:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Acies quadratum” On the square formation of the Roman army Julian de Vries 12 2,297 09-19-2021, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Triplex Acies and the Standard Bryan 2 1,695 08-16-2015, 02:58 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  Acies quadrata Cesco 43 7,142 02-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Renatus