Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman armour
I agree with Robert - Very little evidence suggests Romans held any [modern] concept of "uniform", and most likely looked as mis-matched with different types of gear as could be. How "popular" say the Lorica Segmentata could have been during its use through the 1-2nd centuries is anyone's guess. We just do not have a solid proof or source saying who wore what, when, and for how long, or even why.

We still do not have a solid chronology for all of the helmets that have been found. From what it appears, "new" gear starts to be phased it, while "old", "obsolete" gear eventually fades out of use as the new fashions take over.

The problem reenacting Romans today is that since we have so few archaeological pieces to base our reconstructions, we inevitably end up with a lot of people wearing nearly identical gear. It is a slight advantage to us where we can allow a little flexibility in how close/accurate the gear looks based on its actual surviving example, of course, how detailed you are allowed is going to depend on what you or your group's standards are going to be set for.

So, in a manner of speaking, what we see today in reconstruction, with a lot of soldiers wearing similar gear, but yet in a variety in type (between segmentata, maille, scale, no armor), as well as a wide variety of brass and iron helmets - I think feels fairly accurate, but keep in mind that's what -I- think, based on the research I've done and from what I have seen in other group's research and reconstruction. Your results may vary.

As for items like clothing, I recommend the work done by Graham Sumner ("Roman Military Clothing I, II, III from Osprey; and "Roman Military Dress" from The History Press), also look for D'Amato and Sumner's "Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier" from Frontline Books.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Roman armour - by Oleg Suvoroff - 04-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Re: Roman armour - by Robert Vermaat - 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Re: Roman armour - by Natasha Moir - 04-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Re: Roman armour - by A_Volpe - 04-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Re: Roman armour - by Forty-One - 04-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Re: Roman armour - by Matt Collettivs Ave - 04-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Re: Roman armour - by Matt Collettivs Ave - 04-18-2011, 10:29 AM