Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last use of the falcata
@ Sean Manning:
Although "Fiore Del Librei" and others do relate the rising thrusts, they were made mostly with short blades. Or from a low vantage position, reach is far greater comming from above. During the 15th and 16th cent. Portuguese fighting style during the "Discoveries - Descobertas" was that of Sword and Dagger, with a sword with something called a "Carangueja" which were two finger protections that extended over the guard (allowing a finger over the guard for better thrust) that was the first time when thrusting started to be very efficient (no room for heavy armor on a ship deck. That's why I say that you can't really use a Falcata as a thrusting weapon (and we tried, although I favor the Gladius and Axe I've had a lot of practice with a Falcata).

Regarding the curved shape of the sabre, as far as I know during the muslim invasions of the Iberian Peninsula the Sarracens already had curved blades, if memory serves even in "La Chanson de Roland" there are references to the Sarracen curved sabres.

Also regarding the Falchion I meant that it is a very different weapon than a sabre. It's curved and that's it.

@PMBardunias:

It's a common enough mistake comming from modern fencing to historical fencing to put your finger over the guard, as well as putting your "sword foot" foward. It's far more efficient these days when you don't need to put huge strength behind the blow to break the bones that were protected from the slasshing cuts by chain, boiled leather, brigadine or other types of armor that made cutting really pointless.

Edit: One of our "Strait Falcatas"
[attachment=308]DSC07588.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mário - Cerco 21

www.cerco21.com - Looking back to see further ahead.

Messages In This Thread
Last use of the falcata - by John Maddox Roberts - 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Re: Last use of the falcata - by Cerco 21 - 03-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Re: Last use of the falcata - by PMBardunias - 03-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Re: Last use of the falcata - by Thersites - 03-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Re: Last use of the falcata - by caiusbeerquitius - 03-11-2011, 03:48 AM
Re: Last use of the falcata - by Cerco 21 - 03-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Re: Last use of the falcata - by Sean Manning - 03-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Re: Last use of the falcata - by PMBardunias - 03-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Re: Last use of the falcata - by Cerco 21 - 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Re: Last use of the falcata - by Cerco 21 - 03-13-2011, 02:11 PM