Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love, marriage and sexuality: aids and handbooks
Hi Sander,

Regarding my colleague's makeover.

Substituted safer cosmetics:
Skin-Roman-White lead (cerussa)

Modern substitute-Instead of the original white lead paste I used a zinc oxide pigment based cream (Sudacream, used to treat nappy rash!hehe!)this also contains paraffin wax and lavender oil.This was dusted with anti dust chalk in place of more white lead powder

Eyes-Roman-Antimony sulphide (stibium)

Modern substitute- Instead of using antimony sulphide I used a dark grey modern powder eyeshadow blended with olive oil which had been previously heated and thickened with beeswax.I also thickened her eyelashes with this.

Eyelids-Roman- Saffron powder (crocus)-red gold colour
Modern substitute- Instead of using pounded saffron (which can irritate the eyes) I used a regular reddish-gold modern eyeshadow powder blended with beeswax and olive oil.

Other eyeshadow pigments used included malachite (green), azurite (blue) manganese dioxide- (black/ grey)

Non substitued safe original cosmetics:

Eyebrows- Frankincense ash blended with rose essence and olive oil.
Cheeks- Red ochre powder (iron III oxide) blended with chalk
Lips- Red ochre powder blended with a tiny amount of alkanet root, beeswax and olive oil.

I found the cosmetics rather difficult to apply compared with modern products. They smudged easily and had to constantly keep being reapplied.

I have also just posted a pic of some actual pigments which were used in my album, so you can see just how brightly coloured they were.

The very best of luck with your studies! Big Grin

Regards,
Jo
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum

Messages In This Thread
Re: Love, marriage and sexuality: aids and handbooks - by Memmia - 03-10-2011, 03:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marriage, law and inheritance Nathan Ross 5 3,143 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman Sexuality Doc 7 3,140 10-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS