Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Shield types from Bronze to Hellenistic Age
Does he list sources for these shields somewhere? Looking at his 'Aetolian", I'd be hesitant to label any shield with a robust, domed central boss as a double-grip shield rather than single central grip. This statement: "Externally it had several marks and usually a metal hub that helped at the stage of repulsion (othismos) to break up the unity of the opposing faction." is unlikely.

The "Iphicratid" is fanciful, for we have no idea what that shield looked like. I do like the crossed straps in place of a porpax. Some peltae clearly show parallel straps pulled together and held in one hand. I have experimented with this set up and if the length is right, you can hold it together for a single handed grip, or slide your forearm through for a porpax-like effect. This may explain the images of Thracian peltasts on vases that show two "porpaxes" and an antilabe.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greek Shield types from Bronze to Hellenistic Age - by PMBardunias - 02-17-2011, 01:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Identification of Episemon on Greek shield MaterCastrorum 3 2,220 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Greek shield design question joeandmich 16 6,564 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Greek bronze bowl maitre Renard 4 2,353 03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Last Post: John Conyard