Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early 1st cen. AD Germanic double edged sword
I was hoping to make a double edged 1st cen. AD Germanic sword. I found a replica on the Archaeoschmiede of a double edged sword dated about 0AD from a grave find near Hamburg. It has a lot of Celtic influence, but it is a good example of a sword from the early 1st cen. AD. However, I'm having trouble finding pictures of the reconstructed blade, and how the blade was constructed. I don't believe it was pattern welded, but the site mentioned some type of chemichal process used by the Celts to work the metal. I was also wondering if anyone knew how common these swords were in early 1st cen. Germania. The single edged swords were deffinately more popular, but were the double edged 'Celtic' style slashing swords only in the hands of nobles, or were they available to professional and richer warriors as well? Here is the link to the Archaeoschmiede's sword:
http://archaeoschmiede.de/page9.html
Dan Dalby

Group Leader Project Germani

Germanic Tribes of the 1st. cen. BCE to the 1st cen. CE

Messages In This Thread
Early 1st cen. AD Germanic double edged sword - by Harjaz - 02-06-2011, 01:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Documentary on Early Runes and Germanic Languages Harjaz 6 1,996 04-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Redwald
  Early Alanic Sword Reproduction Alanus 6 3,820 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Early Germanic Combat Techniques Anonymous 2 1,408 01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Harjaz