Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
celtic mercenaries
Khairete!<br>
<br>
For anyone just getting started in any ancient historical impression, you can't go wrong by finding a couple key books, such as Peter Connolly's "Greece and Rome at War", ISBN 185367303X (There's a new edition, might have a different ISBN.) It's got hoplites, peltasts, Gauls, Britons, Romans of all sorts, you name it. You can keep yourself busy with new reenacting projects for decades just from this one book! He has a number of smaller books such as "The Greek Armies" which go into a little more detail here and there. Another excellent starter book with great illustrations is John Warry's "Warfare in the Classical World". It gets reprinted all the time and should be readily available.<br>
<br>
There are also the Osprey books, most of which can't really be trusted for deep research but are great information and a good place to get started on basics. Less than 20 bucks each but over the years you will fill a bookshelf with them!<br>
<br>
Mind you, some cultures are pretty obscure and there is very little solid information on their clothing and equipment. Galatia was populated by Celts/Gauls, but there may have been influence from several other Asian cultures.<br>
<br>
Reenacting is all about doing what you WANT to do, so I wouldn't worry too much about height or hair color. Granted, you probably wouldn't make a very convincing hobbit or Zulu, but other than that, don't sweat it. I always tend to push research and historical accuracy, particularly for anything that's going to be displayed to the public, and a few good books will get you well on the way in that department. Then just follow your mood swings!<br>
<br>
And we're all still here and happy to answer more questions!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
celtic mercenaries - by Anonymous - 03-31-2005, 12:01 AM
celtic mercenaries - by Anonymous - 03-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Re: celtic mercenaries - by Anonymous - 03-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Re: celtic mercenaries - by Anonymous - 03-31-2005, 06:35 PM
celtic mercenaries - by Anonymous - 03-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Re: celtic mercenaries - by Anonymous - 03-31-2005, 08:26 PM
celtic mercenaries - by Anonymous - 04-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Re: celtic mercenaries - by Matthew Amt - 04-04-2005, 03:09 PM