Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Questions Multi-Part
Long time no speak... first and foremost. It's been a while since I've posted. Anyway, I have a few questions. I haven't gotten into re-enacting yet because of work schedules and finances. Been putting it off for a bit now for longer than necessary. Now with a nice little raise I can start putting some aside for a decent kit and here’s my dilemma.

I at first thought I would want a Republic-Empire era kit (Caesar / Octavian era). So I was told to look into the Mainz blade. Now I’m thinking I may want to go a bit further into the late 1st Century to the 2nd Century (loving the Lorica Segmentata over the Hamata).

So now I’m at a point where I want to purchase a gladius. I can probably budget about $300 at best for one and need to know what is the best (and most historically accurate) option?

What I want is something that can stand up and perform well but also look good on display. I’m planning on having a room in my house dedicated to history… where I plan to have on display various armors, swords, etc. This is for my kids mostly… to show an evolution in warfare while educating them. I have a strong Greek background so I’m wanting a full Roman kit and then a limited kit for a Greek (Spartan) Hoplite. From there over the next 10 years I’m wanting to have a renaissance era, WWII, and present day set up.

Anyway… what do you guys suggest for the sword, and along with that, what out there is good for basic sparring? I’m wanting to demonstrate to my son who’s now 5 years old and get him into history and possibly re-enacting in the future. Having a sword or two in the future that we could use for sparring would be nice. Right now I’ve got a waster wooden Gladius and thought about getting a second one for him.

Thoughts guys? Keeping in mind the era and budget… what’s a good kit sword and what’s a good sparring sword?
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)

Messages In This Thread
Gladius Questions Multi-Part - by Titus Juventius Tertius - 01-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Re: Gladius Questions Multi-Part - by Matthew Amt - 01-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Re: Gladius Questions Multi-Part - by Magnus - 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM