Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children -Re-enactment on the March
I have been away for nearly a year - never mind the reasons. Last year my three kids had an interest in being involved in re-enactment. This spring, we may get to it.

My daughter is 13 and not really interested now, but my two sons are 11 and 10 and would like to be involved. A group trying to get organized locally (later Empire - 320AD to 370AD) wants to restrict military re-enactment to those old enough to be realistic - understandable. The two kids and their cousin want to do something with the group, but are too young to be soldiers. So, what to do?

A professor at a local college suggested that as the group wants to re-enact a vexellatio on the march, the boys might be servants (i.e. slaves) of soldiers. It is unlikely that soldiers would have exposed their own young sons to the rigors of campaigning or the march. So, the question becomes how to involve them.

Has anyone else involved their kids in re-enactment? Any suggestions or words of wisdom are welcome.

Did the kids take to it, or were there problems?

What costume/footwear would be appropriate for 10-12 year olds re-enacting such a role? That is the role of a slave boy at that time.

The only hint I can give is that my 11 year old thinks caligae are "pretty cool." However, by the 4th century those are unlikely to have been common footwear.

Opinions and helpful hints will be appreciated.
Mike Benedict

Messages In This Thread
Children -Re-enactment on the March - by Chlodovicus - 12-31-2010, 12:42 AM
Re: Children -Re-enactment on the March - by Doc - 12-31-2010, 03:10 PM