Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated?
Well, the whole premise of this thread title was the short sword is over rated.
you obviously have an advatage over reading Miks in German, I have to look at the pictures :wink:
But there seems to have been morethan one semi-spatha found surely? there are certainly morethan one shrt sword pictured wit hwhat appears to be later long swords.

Quote: Generally the spear was the primary weapon, the javelin was an evolution of the spear.

We're talking about the Romans in the period of the short sword, not generally, surely?

Quote:The reason for the javelin's use in combat is fairly obvious,

Your point with these obvious statments, which don't require explaining? :?
I don't see the need to fluff up the argument here. The use of the pilum is well known to all themembers here, including myself, and also the
use of the gladius.
You still haven't convinced me the empire was created by anything other than a combination of the heavy and light pilum(Javalin not a spear)
and the short sword. It may have been maintained for the rest of its period by the changing patterns of sword use,
but still, it was built with the short sword. Smile

A spear usually has a leaf shaped blade, and while there are some javalin types that also have a different variety of spear heas, the pilum was first and for most a javalin.

nite nite all! :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
Re: Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated? - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-03-2010, 12:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Short Sword Underrated? JeffF 43 9,827 05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Semi Spatha/short sword Anonymous 19 7,416 01-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Shield boss and sword ansje 12 2,697 12-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte