Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetius\' description of a Roman Legion
Quote:I wonder what the decision tree looks like for deciding "here Vegetius is totally correct/here he is entirely speculative". Same applies to Trajan's Column, Adamklissi metopes, Herodotus and other sources. It can't all be tied to the archeological record, as thing like tactics and organization would scarcely be represented by foundations of buildings and escavatory finds. Just wondering as always.
Just brainstorming but:

How much evidence do we have (more evidence -> a higher level of credence is possible if the evidence mostly agrees)
What does other evidence say?
Why did our source say this? Were they an eyewitness? Talked to an eyewitness? Read it- where? Hearsay? Didn't believe it at all but was trying for rhetorical effect?
Does this source describe something which did happen, or say it should happen? Eg. we know that a lot of imperial edicts were ignored after a decade or two; or trying to study the late Roman economy based on the Edict of Maximum Prices.
What hypotheses would produce the evidence we have? Which are simplest?

One source isn't worth much although it can give rise to interesting speculation.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Vegetius\'s description of Roman Legion - by Sean Manning - 11-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetius and the later Roman army: common mistakes? Robert Vermaat 2 233 05-10-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Vegetius and other Late Roman Sources Spurius Papirius Cursor 22 8,532 12-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Spurius Papirius Cursor
  History of Rome Pt 14a&b, (description of the Roman Legi Helvetica 0 1,080 10-27-2008, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Helvetica