Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetius\' description of a Roman Legion
If you read Vegetius, its pretty clear that he made some mistakes (eg. he thinks velites were cavalry; Veg. 3.23 "Velites autem erant iuuenes leui armatura et corpore alacri, qui ex equis optime missibilia dirigebant") and didn't understand that the Roman army had changed drastically over time (or at least minimized this to support his rhetorical image of one good old way and one bad modern way). The way he used sources from Cato the Elder to Emperor Hadrian without hinting at problems attests to that! So while his legion could be an accurate rendition of an organization we don't know about, it would be hard to prove, and even harder to assign it a particular date.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Vegetius\'s description of Roman Legion - by Sean Manning - 11-20-2010, 04:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetius and the later Roman army: common mistakes? Robert Vermaat 2 257 05-10-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Vegetius and other Late Roman Sources Spurius Papirius Cursor 22 8,557 12-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Spurius Papirius Cursor
  History of Rome Pt 14a&b, (description of the Roman Legi Helvetica 0 1,092 10-27-2008, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Helvetica