Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ...
Quote: He did perhaps let the side down a bit by referring to the coming of Philip and Alexander as outsiders, but I think really he was pointing out the alien society the autocratic/aristocratic Makedonians represented compared with the handful of city-states he had been discussing.

I would agree with him: I do think the city state Greeks looked upon them in that fashion. The usual response to that is the fact that Greek states allied themselves with Philip and requested his help or that he took two "seats" at the Delphic Amphictyony.

The first is not of any import. Greek states, pursuing limited self-interest, would always seek the support or backing of the greater power. The most outstanding examples being the long running Spartan and then Theban prostataia under Persian aegis and the constant appeals to Rome to settle petty disputes and, in the end, invite their own end game.

The second is a matter of base practicality. Having been asked for support Philip defeated the Phocians and was awarded their votes after they'd been expelled. I seriously doubt that Philip, canny political operator that he was, will ever have attempted to demand such. Not that he ever misunderstood the possible value of successful support when he was asked.

Again, Athenian (and other states) snobbery may well have had a hand in this view of these Macedonians as "outsiders".
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ... - by Paralus - 11-25-2010, 08:46 PM