Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ...
Paralus wrote:
Quote:Macedonian hippies and the large "crowd of barabarians"

"Macedonian Hippies" ????? :lol: :lol: .........I see I am not the only one guilty of 'typos' !!

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I attach a map of Macedonia. (450-400 BC aprox) 'Lower' Macedonia is denoted by the green dashed line - it consists of broadly the river valleys and alluvial plains of Bottaia and Pieria. Note the two Greek colonies of Methone and Pydna, and up the river Haliakmon the original capital of Aigiai. ( the later capital of Pella is also marked across the gulf in Bottaia.

Surrounding it (brown dot-and-dash line), is 'Upper' Macedonia - including Lynkestis, Orestai, Elimiotai, Tymphaioi etc - these are broadly the lower foothills and mountain ranges and upper river valleys. Beyond the high mountain ranges to the west is Epirus and Illyria, to the north the Agrianes and Paionians, and off the map to the east is Thrace. To the south, beyond Olympus lies the plains of Thessaly..

Hopefully the map gives an idea of the area under discussion. I'm inclined to agree that Thucydides 'barbarians' are the Hoi-Polloi peasants/shepherds etc who provide the Army's peltasts and psiloi..........and who are not yet 'Makedones/citizens' until Philip II makes them so.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ... - by Paullus Scipio - 11-22-2010, 04:49 AM