Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ...
Quote:
Ghostmojo:3fvskgxk Wrote:(a) I absolutely don't want this to get political (in the terms of the modern 'name' issues etc.) but I utterly agree with Stefanos. I am not Greek. I am English, but I have a lifelong love of Greece, its history and culture and am one of many hundreds of thousands of students of Greece (if not millions throughout the ages) who recognise the debt we in the west to owe to Hellenic civilisation. As the subject was raised, the appearance of this new FYROM republic from a failed and broken former slavic conglomerate (Yugoslavia) and its attempts to co-opt a culture that is not theirs (Alexander the Great Airport for god's sake! :x ), is shameful, deceitful and thoroughly repugnant. However, I feel do sorry for their nation, in that it is clearly a sad people without a history or a culture (or a language come to that) and which has decided to steal that belonging to others - specifically by reaching back into history (and attempting to re-fashion it). I do understand why others (particularly Greek Makedonians) feel so strongly about it, and they have my complete support. That's all I have to say about that....

Yep.

With the rider that it is generally governments that steal or appropriate identities rather than "a people".

Of course - although, I gather the general population tends to go along with this for the most part :| ...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ... - by Ghostmojo - 11-18-2010, 01:04 PM